Japanese Curry (Karē Risu)
2-3 Tbsp Neutral oil
1 ½ lb Beef stew meat
Salt & Pepper
1 Large onion, sliced
1 Red bell pepper, large dice
2 Large carrots, cut rangiri style
1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Ginger, grated
1 lb Yukon gold potatoes, quartered or 8th'd
1 Granny smith apple or Asian pear, peeled and grated
½ Daikon radish, large chunks (optional)
4 Cups Prepared dashi, or stock
3 Tbsp Prepared curry powder, preferably S&B Oriental Curry Powder
2 Tbsp Corn or potato starch
3 Tbsp Bobbie's Boat Sauce Classic
2 Tbsp Soy sauce
1-2 Tbsp Honey
- Heat 1 Tbs of oil in heavy-bottomed pot, and working in batches if necessary, brown beef on all sides, while lightly seasoning meat.
- Remove and set aside, wipe out pot if necessary, and add another Tbsp of oil to pot, and sweat onions, pepper, garlic and ginger at a medium-low heat.
- Add potatoes, carrots, apple and daikon. Stir at medium-high heat for a few minutes.
- Add beef back to pot, sprinkle corn/potato starch over, and combine thoroughly before adding 3 cups dashi and the curry powder.
- Lower heat as needed, and cook curry for around 15 minutes, letting liquid reduce and thicken, and ensuring that potatoes are cooked through. Add more dashi if curry looks too dry.
- As a final step, stir in Bobbie's Boat Sauce, soy sauce, and honey. Taste for acidity, sweetness and saltiness, and adjust as needed.
- Serve with rice, and plenty of Bobbie's Boat Sauce!