Moules a la Hey Sailor
- 2lb mussels, debearded and soaking in cold water
- 4 Tbs Olive Oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and very thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Italian plum tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup white wine, vermouth, pernod, or water
- 3 Tbs Bobbie's Boat Sauce of choice, plus more for serving
- several grinds of black pepper
Optional : ¼ tsp fennel seeds, toasted and crushed
Optional : 4-8oz spaghetti or linguine
Optional : thinly sliced lemon for serving
- Heat oil in a wide skillet or dutch oven that has a lid. When oil is shimmering add onions and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Don't let them brown.
- If you're going to serve with pasta, get your pasta water ready and plan on cooking the pasta right when the mussels go in the pot.
- Add fennel and garlic (and optional fennel seed) and continue to cook down until aromatic and nearly caramelized.
- Add tomatoes, and Boat Sauce and let incorporate for another 2-3 minutes over medium heat, before adding wine.
- Shortly after you add wine, scoop out mussels with your hands and add them to the skillet. Cover tightly and cook 4-6 minutes, until mussels are opened
- Using tongs, transfer cooked mussels to a bowl. Discard any that haven't opened after 10 minutes of cooking.
- Cook your sauce down a few minutes more, concentrating the flavors then either toss ½ of this sauce over your cooked pasta, and serve the rest on top, or just eat with crusty bread.